Many people today embark on the creation of a blog to give their opinion, talk about their interests, or simply share their experiences. There are many reasons for starting a blog, and there are many blogging platforms that allow you to start a blog in just a few minutes, without the need for technical knowledge. Some are free, others have free versions while still others offer additional paid features.
No matter which platform you choose, starting a blog is, in many ways, an opportunity to be seized. Having an online space may interest you for the fun aspect (to reproduce more or less important moments in your life or your relationship with your loved ones) but, more interesting still, to strengthen your online marketing strategy.
If you’re still unsure, here’s the list of the benefits of having your own blog:
1. Ease of use. Most blogging platforms are very easy to use, so even newbies can benefit from blogging.
2. Visibility. Like social networks, a blog can reach a huge audience. The location of readers, the time at which they consult the page, or the device they are using is irrelevant since a blog affects all Internet users in the world.
3. Freedom of expression. Freedom of expression is one of the most precious assets of our society. A blog is a great space to make your business voice heard.
4. A wealth of exchanges. The democratization of the publication of content has brought the advantage of giving rise to all types of blogs. Therefore, blogs represent exceptional knowledge sharing spaces. They allow you to help each other, improve your knowledge on various topics, learn about little-known subjects, or open up to other points of view.
5. Best digital SEO. Managing a business blog well means producing quality content. By working on both the technical aspects and the content itself, you can, through your blog, be better referenced in specific Google searches.
6. Financial gain. A blog allows you to market your writing skills for quality articles through posts sponsored by platforms like Coobis (which market your services to major broadcasters).
Creating a blog is relatively easy. The hardest part is often choosing the platform that suits you best among the different existing platforms. To help you make this decision, we explain the differences between these 5 blogging platforms :
If there is a platform currently in vogue, it is WordPress, which allows you to create a free blog on a global platform and which also offers to download all the files to have an installation of open source software on your own. server.
WordPress is, in fact, the main platform, not only for the creation of blogs but also for the design of company web pages, since this platform has become a genuine content management system ( CMS ).
If you use the wordpress.com platform, you can create a blog for free, without knowing the need for external hosting, in just 5 steps:
1. Choose the domain that will be yours. It always looks like this: “yourname.wordpress.com”. The platform will then give you the option of purchasing your own domain name, to which you can redirect this space.
2. Enter an email address, username, and password.
3. Choose the template you desire for the look of your blog.
4. If you want to have a free blog, you must check the option “ Free offer”, which will never expire.
5.After these steps, all you have to do is give shape to your blog and share the content that will be relevant to attract audiences.
What are the advantages of WordPress?
WordPress has emerged as the leading blogging platform mainly due to the following benefits:
1. Ease of use. It is a very intuitive platform on which you design and customize the blog as you wish.
2. Free, although it is possible later to add features with the “Premium” offer.
3. Care for the client. The platform has a personal forum where you can submit any questions you have about WordPress in order to elucidate them or remedy potential drawbacks.
4. The platform has a mobile application. In addition, the majority of the models are adaptive ( responsive ), that is to say, that the consultation of the site remains comfortable as well on the computer as on the mobile phone.
5. It makes it easy to reference content on search engines.
Blogger is the blogging platform that gave its name to this type of digital content. It was initially a side project of the company Pyra Labs, which was acquired by Google in 2003.
From the start, simplicity has been the key to Blogger’s success. The initial objective was to allow the publication of digital content, in a simple and intuitive way, without knowing how to code.
Since its takeover by Google, all you need is a Gmail account to create your first blog in less than 3 minutes.
For this, you need to access using your Google data and click on “New Blog”. The platform will ask you for the blog name, URL, and template of your choice from a range of free offers.
What are the benefits of Blogger?
Even if, in recent years, Blogger has lost its number one place in favor of WordPress, this platform still brings the following advantages:
1. It is completely free.
2. Very easy to use. You can also design and customize your blog as you wish.
3. You can create as many blogs as you want.
4. Access to other Google products. Being by default a service offered by Google, the platform gives access to other Google products, such as Picasa or Google Plus.
5. No technical knowledge is required. Blogger remains the ideal platform for novices.
If you are looking for a blog that emphasizes the visual aspect, Tumblr is the ideal choice. This platform is suitable for all users who want to share images, GIFs, or videos. We can actually think of a blog as more visual than textual space.
In general, Tumblr is used more by amateurs and, although some companies use this platform, it remains oriented towards more personal than professional themes. However, many businesses can find their place on Tumblr.
What are the benefits of Tumblr?
Tumblr counts among its strengths:
1. Its originality. Tumblr sets itself apart from other blogging platforms. It’s more of a microblogging platform, a clever mix of blogging and Twitter.
2. Visual content. This platform emphasizes aesthetics, which users appreciate very much these days.
3. This platform adapts perfectly to mobile devices.
4. Using this platform is, once again, very easy.
5. You can manage multiple blogs.
6. Tumblr has a wide selection of different templates.
7. Tumblr also has various options for posting live events.
8. It’s a free platform.
Like WordPress, here is a blogging platform that has been converted into a powerful content management system. Wix started out as an online space for creating webpages that also made blogging quickly and easily. Wix also does not require any knowledge of computer programming.
To have a blog con Wix, you must create an account on the platform. You can do this using the registration options which use data from Facebook or Google Plus. You then enter the type of web page you want to create: in this case, a blog.
Then, you just need to choose a template and you can edit and update your new blog information. You will then be ready to publish and share your content.
What are the benefits of Wix?
Like other blogging platforms, Wix is very easy to use space. It also has the following advantages:
1. It has a large number of models, usually designed with a sense of aesthetics and organization.
2. This platform also adapts to mobile devices. What you publish will therefore be just as readable on a tablet or smartphone.
3. It offers a free offer and a premium offer. If you opt for the latter offer, the platform provides different services that you can access discounts and special coupons.
Medium is the flagship of blogging platforms. This is no coincidence since it was founded by Ev Williams, a founder of Blogger and, later, of Twitter, and by Biz Stone, co-founder of Twitter.
Medium is betting on a simple and beautiful design so that users can focus on the essential: the content.
The medium was originally very similar to Twitter, apart from the 140 character limit of course. This platform makes content stand out and gives users the opportunity to recommend it themselves. We can thus consider that this platform encourages writing and quality revision.
This platform is extremely easy to use. You can access Medium through your Facebook or Twitter profile; a few minutes will then suffice for you to explore all the platform’s customization options.
What are the advantages of Medium?
If you haven’t been convinced by the options mentioned yet, here is a list of Medium’s strengths:
1. Quality content. Content is a fundamental characteristic of Medium. This is why you will find quality content on this platform. If you have good content and want to start a blog, this is the platform for you.
2. The blogs created are also optimized for mobile devices.
3. Collaboration. The platform promotes exchanges within its community, between editors and readers for example. This can be found, in particular, in content sharing, article suggestions, or comments on publications.
4. It is very easy to use and can quickly display great designs and visuals.
As you can see, these 5 blogging platforms are all easy to use, since they don’t require any technical skills in computer programming. This allows you to focus on what really matters: what you have to say.